The Village of Tower Lakes has a seven member Plan Commission whose members are appointed to two year terms by the Village President, subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
The Plan Commission meets at 7:00 pm on the 2nd Wednesday of the month (as necessary) at the Village Office.
Plan Commission Projects
- 1996 Opinion Survey Statistics (available from Village office)
- A series of hearings to develop recommendations on new parking restrictions in 1994 & 1999/2000. A good summary of this issue appears on pg 12 of the Feb 3, 2000 Barrington Courier-Review.
- Regulations pertaining to tear-downs and building height restrictions. A public hearing on the proposal was held Sept 9, 2004 at 7:30 at the Lake Barrington Village Hall.
- A modification to our zoning ordinances to regulate cell towers. The Plan Commission conducted a Town Meeting and a formal Public Hearing on the matter in Sept 2004, leading to an ordinance with new restrictions.
- A modification to our zoning ordinances to clarify and simplify the setback requirements.
- The Sept 9, 2004 regular Plan Commission meeting was replaced by the Public Hearing on the proposal pertaining to tear-downs in Tower Lakes and zoning ordinances to regulate cell towers.
- The Plan Commission held a Public Hearing on a proposed Nonconforming Use Ordinance on March 17, 2005.
- In 2008, the Village Code was revised to incorporate zoning changes recommended by the Plan Commission as a result of several years of study. New and revised regulations and definitions concerning setbacks and maximum lot coverage ratios have been adopted as well as tightened guidance on acceptable conditions for variances.
- A 2008 Village Survey to be used as input to an update of the Comprehensive Plan.
- In 2009, after careful study and recommendation by the Plan Commission, the Village Zoning Ordinances were revised to incorporate impervious surface limits on lots in the Village aimed at reducing storm water runoff issues, including the affect on lake water quality.
- In 2008-10 a project to completely rewrite the 2002 Tower Lakes Comprehensive Plan, based on input from the 2008 Village Survey and a series of Focus groups.
- 2010 Update of Tower Lake Comprehensive Plan which was adopted Oct 18, 2010.
Plan Commission Meeting Agendas are posted at the Village Hall door at least 48 hrs before every meeting.